Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Date: The Wrap-Up

So, I was supposed to go on a date Friday night. I decided to pre-game the Jersey Shore premiere Thursday night with countless Red Bull & Vodka, which led to a pretty awful hangover on Friday. After feeling like shit all day and having my date not even tell me where we were going until 2:30 - plus, yelling at myself in the mirror for 10 minutes that I didn't wanna go on the date - I finally texted him around 4:30 and told him I wasn't going to be able to make it because I had an emergency. (aka sit in my house and be lazy) He asked if I wanted to reschedule for Saturday night. I agreed because actually, that would work out a lot better since I had to work Saturday morning anyway so going out Friday night I would have felt rushed.

I felt much better Saturday: more relaxed and refreshed. Hell, I even went to Target and mulled over several different outfit options that I could wear on my date. (Along with multiple text messages to my BFF involving combinations of tops, jeans & shoes) I got dressed, did my hair and makeup and got on the bus looking entirely way too pretty for public transit. We were meeting at this nice looking Mexican restaurant with an impressive tequila selection; It was totally way fancy inside with old wood-carved moldings, giant sparkly chandeliers and draperies sections off dining areas.

He was sitting at the bar when I walked in and I recognized him as most of what I had expected considering he had only one picture on dating site - and it was a side shot, reminiscent of those MySpace profile pics. I ordered a Margarita, no salt, and the introductions began. We snacked on delicious chips and fresh guac in some giant stone bowl possibly shaped like a pig. We talked about work and school and True Blood and nerdyness, had a few more drinks and dinner, talked a bit more, then decided to head to another bar for drinks. We went to a local sports pub, ordered some beers, talked about Inception and Batman and the X-Games and Boxing and Japan. Then a drunken group from a pub crawl came in and we apparently made accidental friends with the drunk guy who sat next to me, invaded my personal space bubble, then proceeded to throw spit balls at his friends across the bar. We took this as our cue to leave.We walked around a park and sat on a bench and talked some more about family and friends and Philadelphia, spotted a stray cat hunting, did some fancy dog watching and then it was getting late and I had to catch my bus back. So we walked to the bus stop, talked some more and then said our goodbyes.

No hug. No goodnight kiss. Just a "I had a good time tonight. When you come back from vacation, we'll talk again." and I got on the bus. I feel bad, but I kind of already knew straight away at the restaurant that this wasn't going to go anywhere. No spark, no chemistry. He was very nice and a cool guy though and hopefully maybe we can be friends and I can expand my social circle beyond my co-workers and Drag Queens. It's also really hard to try and go on dates when you're pretty much head over heels in love with someone else, but maybe I am taking a step in the right direction. To even have gone on this date to begin with was huge for me. I have to not let myself stagnate this year and keep everything moving forward towards where I want to go and what I want to eventually do with my life.

But maybe I'll have more luck next time....

3 comments:

  1. hey, it can't be love at first sight all the time! at least you had a fun night ^_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. free food!!! yeahhh!

    it IS a huge step for you going on dates. either way i'll bet it keeps you on your feet. and sometimes failed dates become lifelong friends.

    ReplyDelete